Thursday, October 3, 2013

Business Cards

I finally got around to printing up a set of business cards, after being asked for one a week or so ago. I had been wanting to do it for a long time, almost as an art project of sorts. This is as close as I have come so far to making limited-edition prints. 


The only problem when you are designing for yourself (and without a deadline) is you can spend forever re-working and tweaking the design, making endless changes. There are so many options, it's hard to just say: This is it, I'm happy with it just the way it is. Selecting just the right image can be a pain as well: Which one to choose? 


 Fortunately Moo.com, which printed the cards, gives you the option of putting different designs on the backside of the card. You can upload up to 50 different designs (you get only one common design on the other side) for no extra charge. I took the opportunity to use six of the designs I make: armbinders, hoods, sleepsacks, f-suits and butterfly straitjackets. The kneeling restraint falls under the "other" category...


One thing I did encounter was the printing tended to get a bit dark in the shadow areas. I actually sent the art a second time, as it was a little darker than I wanted. I was going for "mysterious", but may have overshot into "completely obscured" the first time around. 


On the sleepsack image, I did a higher-contrast version the second time (on the left below), but the first print (on the right) wasn't so bad, even though it's pretty dark. 


I also learned a lesson about selecting a font that was too thin. It wasn't very legible the first go-round (the top card in the image below). But the second time was a charm... Overall I'd recommend Moo if you are interested in having cards made. They do high-quality work, the website is easy to use, and the cards have a nice heavy feel. I can't wait to run out...




5 comments:

  1. I find the kneeling restraint the most appropriate looking and also innovating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the more unique things I've done so far, rottny. When I offer the cards to my friends to pick from (non-pervs) they tend to choose the armbinder - I think the others may be too far out for them!

      Delete
  2. Another vote for the kneeling restraint. I've used Moo myself, but for the general photography side of things. If I had known that they were happy to print the darker side of life ... *sigh* ... all the missed opportunities in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know if a vendor is going to have an issue with something - and in this case it went through Moo without a hitch. Twice, actually!

      Among my friends, the winner (when asked to pick their card) has been the girl in the armbinder so far... But my friends aren't exactly hardcore pervs.

      Delete
  3. I prefer the arm binder one myself. you have a good balance of light and dark. It says you sell pleasure and pain all set in leather. Wouls you send a few- I have a lot of Bay Area polykinksters who would kill for your stuff if you're in the market for new clients.

    ReplyDelete